Monday, April 23, 2012

Recipe - Coconut Macaroons

Just lately, I have had a craving for all things coconut. Last week I made a pie that my Brother in Laws Mother created called Fat Ass Pie, which features coconut and pecans. Stupid me did not take any pictures but I can guarantee (judging by the reaction of my family) that I will most definitely be making it again! When I do, I will put the recipe up! It is absolutely delicious!!! 

This week, I decided on Coconut Macaroons. A friend in England gave me a recipe a long time ago and it has been my go to macaroon recipe ever since! They are nicely sized, perfectly crispy on the outside and deliciously chewy on the inside. You won't just be able to eat just one! (Well, I couldn't anyway...) This is how they turned out! 


Here's what you need to make them!

This is to make 24 macaroons, you can cut it in half if you prefer, but you will wish you hadn't!

1 and 1/3rd of a cup of all purpose flour
11 cups sweetened, flaked coconut
2 14oz cans of sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of almond extract
1/2 a teaspoon of salt

Mix the flour salt and coconut together in a large bowl. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and then pour in the condensed milk.  Stir well so that the milk coats everything and the extracts are evenly distributed.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, divide the mixture into 24 balls.  Bake in the oven for around about 30 minutes at 350 degrees until the coconut is toasted!  Keep an eye on them in the last 10 minutes or so, because they tend to go from toasted to burnt quite quickly!

You can eat these warm or cold and if you wanted to jazz them up a little, you could even add chocolate chips into the mix or maybe some chopped almonds :)  Either way, they taste sooooo good!

I hope you enjoy them!! Let me know how they turn out!

~Tasha

2 comments: