Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Missing England

 
Just lately, I am missing England more than usual.  I think it's because I haven't been back there in 4 years and the chance of getting back there within the next 2 are looking very slim :(  I'm trying to get my Mum, Step Dad, Brother and Sister over for Christmas which would be so, so great!  I also think my best friend who I have known since I was 7 is coming over for New Years Eve!  She will be bringing her new Husband and baby Alfie with her who I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet!  I'm so excited about that!  It seems soooo far away though!

My ramblings today are going to include some pictures of some of my favorite things from England to give you more of an idea of where I am from.

Below is the town I grew up in, Newquay.  It's on the South West coast of England and has a population of about 22,000 people! (In the summer this goes up to about 100,000)  There are 10 beaches and this is why I miss the beach so much!  When I was growing up, I don't think I took advantage of the beach enough because I saw it every day.  Now I don't, I wish I was there!  I wish I had gone down to the beaches every day!

Newquay Coastline





When you talk about England, you HAVE to include a pub!  This was the place to go in Newquay, whether it be for a quick lunch and a glass of wine with friends, a morning cup of coffee, or a girls night out.  We were here, a lot!
  Next comes food (of course!)  I have a list of things that I am going to eat as soon as I get there.  In fact, if the person who picks me up from the airport could bring all of the below with them, I would be eternally grateful!  I'm thinking they may have to roll me back on the plane though!!

A traditional English breakfast.  Sausage, Bacon, Fried Bread, Fried Egg, Mushrooms, Baked Beans, Tomatoes, Black Pudding. It makes me want to lick the computer screen.
The famous Cornish Pasty.  Shortcrust pastry filled with steak, onions, potatoes and suede, sprinkled with lots of black pepper.  The trick is to eat it before the seagulls steal it from your hands.
PROPER fish and chips!!!  I probably miss this the most!!!  I have tried to recreate it but have failed.  It just doesn't taste the same.  And on a side note, A BIG FAT YUCK to Long John Silvers.
This my friends is quite possibly the best chocolate bar ever known to man, woman, or child.  In fact ANY Cadbury's chocolate makes me salivate.  My Husband will no longer eat American chocolate.  Cadbury's is not the same here...  I don't know why the recipe would be different, but it is :(

That's all I can remember for right now!  If there are any English people reading this who happen to have the perfect fish and chip recipe from back home, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know!  You will seriously make my life complete!

10 comments:

  1. Okay, the food was just mean, lol. But wow, look at that coastline. I never knew England looked like that. It always sounded like a dreary rainy place. I never thought about the days when the sun shone and that there would actually be such beautiful coastlines like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Germany, also missing England and I can reassure you that England is far from a 'dreary rainy place'. Sunny days on beaches, in parks, in back gardens and in the countryside are my favourite memories, with sunny, cheery people. I grew up in the South East, where we frequently have drought and it reaches up to 35 degrees centigrade (nearly 100F) in summer.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I have never been to England but it's on my bucket list :-) I am sure it must get hard being so far away from home, I'll bet the internet helps a bit.

    I think some things taste different here because they use Corn Syrup in everything instead of real sugar! It's tragic, says the American who has a very strong attachment to sugar and real butter...LOL

    I hope your family can come for Christmas and I hope you get to visit home soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monicas Mom Musings - LOL! Everyone says that! They expect it to be all dreary and gloomy ALL the time! It's not :) There are some absolutely beautiful places in England. I was lucky enough to grow up in one of them! And, I know the food was mean. I am regretting posting it now, it's making me hungry.

    Stacey - I know, right!? They do use corn syrup in EVERYTHING! Even in things you wouldn't expect! It's crazy! I'm lucky that my family sends me chocolate over when I get cravings for it! Yes the internet has been a big, big help! Facebook has been my saving grace really. It makes it just that little bit easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy pictures! There is nothing like real fish and chips, and they are SO hard to find in America. We were lucky and a fish and chip place opened up locally. The chef is English and learned to cook in England... it's been heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlene, where abouts do you live? I'm packing my bags and moving right now!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry that you miss your home. I hope that you get to visit soon and that you take a ton of pictures! I would enjoy seeing it all from your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally understand how you might feel not being able to get proper Cadbury's - I think if I was to move abroad I would have to have boxes of Rolo's or Kit Kats posted over to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must difficult and as long as you keep the strength up you be okay. I just saw the fish & chips meal on #AroundtheWorldin80plates from @bravotv

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to spend all my summer holidays as a kid in Perranporth so we always used to go to Newquay - loved the zoo with the monkeyw who would take peanuts out of your hands !!

    I'm in France and am now craving all those things you posted above - you just can't recreate proper fish & chips at home ! :(

    ReplyDelete