Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Baked Rice Pudding Recipe

I adore Rice Pudding. I made some a few days ago and my house smelled absolutely amazing! My Mum used to make this all the time when I was growing up; I can't get it quite like hers though... I wish I could because I have never tasted another quite like it!

I think it's down to the cream... In England there are lot's of different thicknesses of cream available to buy. You can buy Single Cream, Double Cream, Whipping Cream (Heavy Cream) or my personal favorite, Clotted Cream (yum!). She pours double cream all over the rice pudding for the last 15 minutes of cooking and it goes so thick and gooey and creamy. (I'm salivating just thinking about it...)

The one I make is still very good! I also add cinnamon and nutmeg to mine, which my Mum doesn't do. It just gives it that added flair AND makes the house smell good!

Here is my recipe. It only makes enough for 4, but you can certainly double it up and have leftovers, it's actually even better the next day I think! I just add a little milk to it and stick it in the microwave for a couple of minutes :)



I found my camera charger, but now don't have my camera. Ugh.

INGREDIENTS:

  • ½ Cup Short Grain Rice or Sushi Rice (you can use medium, but short works so much better!)
  • ½ Cup White Sugar
  • 4 Cups Whole Milk
  • 1 Tsp Cinnamon
  • ½ Tsp Nutmeg
  • ½ Cup Heavy Cream 
  • You can also add dried fruits such as raisins or cranberries if you want to, but that is completely optional. Personally, I don't like fruit in my rice pudding unless it's canned prunes after it's cooked! (That's an English thing!)

METHOD:

  • Preheat oven to 325°F
  • Put the rice, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a casserole dish and mix together.
  • Pour in the 4 cups of milk and stir well.
  • Cover with a lid or tinfoil and bake for 3 hours. For the first hour, stir every 20 minutes and in the final 20 minutes of cooking type, pour in the heavy cream!
  • If you don't like a skin on the top, then just be sure to stir more often and if at anytime it looks like too much liquid has been absorbed, add a little more milk or cream!


I hope you enjoy this as much as I do! If you make it, or you have a different recipe, please let me know!

~ Tasha


5 comments:

  1. Oh I loooove rice pudding! Do you think I could use almond milk?
    http://www.mondaysnugget.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not! In fact, I bet that would be awesome!

      Delete
  2. Oh thank you for sharing your recipe!!!! Rice pudding is one of my favorite treats! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had rice pudding in my life I have to say. To me, rice and pudding didn't seem to belong in the same sentence but after reading this over, I think I may have to give it a go. Thanks for posting and I'll let you know what I think!!

    Penny at Green Moms and Kids
    http://greenmomsandkids.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried rice pudding yet, what I had just last week is pudding made of old bread. This looks exciting and an new adventure to try!

    ReplyDelete